Saturday, June 25, 2011

Black Bean Enchiladas



To celebrate the blogaversary of the Monthly Challenge, we were to create a recreate a recipe from this blog. I chose the black bean enchilada recipe and just made my own corn tortillas and enchilada sauce. 
The recipe is from the Food Network Magazine  and can be found here.  The used the black bean mixture for two recipes; once for burgers and then using the remaining mixture for the enchiladas.  I used all of the recipe for the enchiladas... I like ours filled! The bean recipe by itself was rather bland and I would definitely have to spice it up if I was to use it in burgers.  However, the enchilada sauce I used worked well with it and gave it lots of flavor.
this is my recipe for Enchilada Sauce.... I have had it for years and don't recall where the recipe came from
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, diced or minced whichever you prefer
3 tablespoons chili powder
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons sugar
15 ounce can tomato sauce or 2 (8-ounce) cans if that's what you have on hand
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
     Heat the oil and and cook the onion until it is soft.  Add the chili powder, garlic, cumin and sugar,tomato sauce and water.  Simmer and cook until it is thickened. 



2 comments:

wirrek said...

Thanks for the enchilada sauce. I recent bought some and knew I should make my own!

Sully said...

This looks great!!!!