Sunday, May 22, 2011

Potato, Fennel, and Tempeh Bacon Pizza

Photobucket

I am a little behind in my fennel postings. This is mainly due to my inability to locate fennel in most of my local grocery stores. Luckily, I finally found some and loaded up.

I made this pizza yesterday and this was not the fennel recipe I intended to make. I intended to use it to make a fennel salad with a tofu ricotta pizza and was flipping through my copy of Vegan with a vegence when I saw the potato and fennel pizza. I thought to myself...hmmmmm....two birds...one stone....why not? The original recipe actually called for tempeh sausage. Tempeh has really grown on me. I make a batch of tempeh bacon and use it to make sandwiches the rest of the week. Decided to use this pre-made bacon instead of the sausage. I made the pizza dough using 2/3 bread flour and 1/3 whole wheat flour in my bread machine. I have struggle with my vegan pizzas...not sure why. I think I need another pizza stone. Any way, after making the dough, rolled it out and topped it with some tomato sauce. I then topped it with thinly sliced potatoes and then sprinkled the thinly sliced fennel and the crumbled tempeh bacon on top. I baked this pizza at 425 for about 20 minutes. This was SO GOOD. I really loved the potatoes like this. Yes, the potatoes did cook all the way! I was very concerned and debated cooking them a bit before hand, but it turned out fine. The only issue was because I had pre-chopping my veggies during naptime, they had browned a bit by dinner time. I had my neighbor over for dinner and she only ate the vegan pizza, and for the first time, my husband had a slice of vegan pizza and not just the cheese I make for the kids. Unfortuately, the success of this pizza was due the potatoes, not necessarily the fennel, but it still counts, right?

1 comment:

KAJ said...

Totally counts!! NICE!!