Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Sesame Bok Choy

Any time I make Tofu in Black Bean Sauce from my Moosewood cookbook, I sautee some bok choy to go along side. It really goes well with the pungent flavor of the black bean sauce, and I love the texture of the stems. Plus, it's very pretty with the dark green leaves and white stems.


3 Tbsp sesame seeds
4 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
2 tsp toasted/dark sesame oil
1 tsp honey
1 head of bok choy, rinsed well and sliced on the bias into 1/2 inch pieces (stems and leaves)

Toast sesame seeds in a dry skillet until lightly browned. Mix soy sauce, sesame oil and honey in a small bowl and set aside. Heat a few tsp of oil in a large skillet with a lid. Add bok choy to skillet, stir to coat with oil and cover for 4-5 minutes until greens are wilted, stirring occasionally. (Since my husband returned from the store with the world's largest head of bok choy, I had to do this in 2 batches. Keep in mind that it doesn't cook down as much as other greens.) Once greens are wilted and stems are tender-crisp, toss bok choy with sauce mixture and sesame seeds. One mistake I made was not draining off the extra liquid from the greens before doing this. It was a little diluted, but still very yummy!


No comments: