Monday, December 3, 2007

Homemade Egg Nog

Don't tell my parents, but I bought store bought egg nog this weekend. I was starting to decorate for Christmas and I just started craving it. Growing up, it was our tradition to make it from stratch during the holidays: spiked for my parents and virgin for me and my sister. Well, when I was craving it I would have loved to have made it, and would have, but egg nog contains all sorts of things forbidden in pregnancy i.e. raw eggs and alcohol. I might have chanced the liquor, but the raw eggs makes me a little uneasy, so I bought some. Hey, its organic, but still, it just isn't the same. Someone needs to tell these people that a pinch of nutmeg is just a pinch! It does make a tasty egg nog latte though. If anyone out there who isn't with child would like to try some yummy (although not low fat) egg nog, here is our family's recipe:

Egg Nog
12 egg whites
1/2 C sugar
12 egg yolks
1 C sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 qt heavy cream
1 qt milk
2 T vanilla
nutmeg (PINCH)

Beat egg whites until stiff. Beat in 1/2 C sugar. In separate bowl, beat egg yolks, 1C sugar, and salt until light.

Combine egg mixtures and blend well. Add next 3 ingredients and chill.

My parents recipe calls for 1 C bourbon and 1 C rum, but I prefer something closer to what I had growing up. However, since this does contain raw eggs, I like 1/2 cup bourbon and rum for some anti-microbial effects.

You can also beat the cream and chill all bowls and beaters.

This makes a ton, so unless you are having a HUGE party, a half of a recipe will do.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Can you believe I've never once had eggnog?