Thursday, September 16, 2010

Caribbean Chicken with Black Beans and Sweet Potatoes

I have made this a few times. It is pretty good and very healthy. I made it this past week for after soccer practice. Because of this, I made many changes that I think actually made this a better dish.

- I used cajun seasoning instead of blackening
- I seared the chicken before cooking the sweet potatoes, then cooked the rest of it in the same pan.
- used more chicken broth
- cooked the sweet potatoes for 10 min, added the chicken, cooked another 10 minutes and then did the rest of the recipe.
- reheated in the oven while we were at soccer.
- I forgot to add salt. I think that is why it was just ok.

Yummy! Since it was after practice, we were pressed for time, so I didn't take a picture. Here is what was left in the pan. I served it with homemade applesauce.

Photobucket

Caribbean Chicken with Black Beans, Sweet Potato & Lime
Eating Well - Winter 2004

A prepared spice blend like jerk seasoning makes an appealing crust on the chicken breasts and adds complex flavor to the black bean-sweet potato ragout. (Adapted from Cooking the RealAge Way). My note - I may have to check this cookbook out!! :D

2 tsp. canola oil or olive oil
1 medium white onion, chopped (I used yellow onion)
1 medium sweet potato, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch chunks (I used 2 sweet potatoes and peeled them - my peels had lots of eyes and other yucky things)
4 tsp. Caribbean jerk seasoning OR blackened seasoning mix, divided
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 bay leaves OR 1/2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning (I used Old Bay)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1-1/4 pounds total)
1 lime
1 15-1/2 oz. can black beans, rinsed
1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
Picapeppa Sauce, mango chutney, plain yogurt, chopped cilantro for garnishes (optional)

1. Heat a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. add oil, then onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in sweet potato. Sprinkle 2 tsps seasoning mix over the vegetables; cook for 1 minute. Add broth and bay leaves (or Old Bay), if using; simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tsp. seasoning mix over chicken; coat chicken with cooking spray. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat source until the chicken is just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side. (Alternatively, cook in a ridged grill pan over medium heat or grill over medium coals.)

3. Grate enough lime zest to measure 1/2 tsp.; cut lime into quarters (I skipped this and just squeezed a big squeeze of lime into the whole dish when it was done). Stir zest, black beans and salt into the sweet potato mixture. Continue cooking for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the sweet potato is tender. If bay leaves have been used, discard them. Transfer the sweet potato-bean mixture to 4 plates; top with chicken and swerve with lime wedges. Garnish as desired.

Makes 4 servings.


Oh, and I also made the chimicangas that Lindsey recently reposted.

Photobucket

No comments: