Wednesday, January 2, 2013

January 2013 Challenge - Set the table!

Alrighty, going to try to get back into this and see how it goes.  Sometimes I need a challenge and I hope that someone else out there joins me.  A few months ago, I read the book "French Kids Eat Everything" in hopes of getting some ideas to help my kids eat more of a variety of foods.  I have one pretty good eater...who won't eat pizza... and one very stubborn eater (I'm not going to call him picky, he is just stubborn).  He will eat pizza.  This book was interesting in pointing out some of the differences between our cultures, but honestly, its not really earth shattering.  The one controversial rule was no snacking.  The French apparently do not allow snacking AT ALL.  No snacks!  Ruin your dinner.  Well, except for that little one at 4pm but that has a fancy name of aperitif so it is OK.  (as an aside I have tried not giving snacks and don't really find that it works).

The other thing with the French is when they eat, they eat.  They eat with all their senses including their eyes.  The book talked about they make a big deal about every aspect of dinner.  They set the table.  When I set the table for dinner, I may...but not always...brush the crumbs off from breakfast.  So, for this challenge, I want to feed the eyes as well as the stomach.  I want to set the table.  I am going to try to make a pretty nice Sunday dinner through out the month of January where we eat on our nice china, in the dinning room with more then one course.  Please join me.

Also, just a heads up, the February challenge is going to be using pressure cookers so if you don't have one...get one!

1 comment:

KAJ said...

I am excited!! And lucky for me, I got a Pressure Cooker for Christmas:) Perfect timing!