Thursday, June 5, 2008

I make the best fruit salad EVER!

In my opinion anyways...

fruitsalad

Perhaps this post is a stretch. I'll go ahead and play a pregnancy card. If I had to pick a reason for this recipe, I will say that this one falls under using an old topic of what could be in Kerri's Greatest Hits.

Cause like I said, it is the best fruit salad ever.

I guess it is a personal taste thing to determine the best fruit salad, but I think what put mine in the winner category is that there is no melon. Mark and I are just not melon people. I also hestitate to call this a recipe, it is just something I make. The secret is good fruit, instead of fillers, the addition of just a little bit of fat in the form of coconut and nuts to make it more substantial, and just a pinch of mint. I like to make this salad as a side of BBQ, or any other time I feel like I need a fresh, light option to balance out a meal. The kids love it. Well, to be honest, not all kids, but mine likes it.

Best Fruit Salad - serves 5 adults and 3 kids plus a little leftover for a snack tomorrow
One pineapple, cubed (err on the side of cutting too small)
One naval orange, cubed
Most of a pint of strawberries, sliced
Blueberries also work good in this, but I forgot to use them today
3 T toasted coconut
3 T toasted sliced almonds (I have used pecans in a pinch)
5 leaves fresh mint, finely chopped

Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Mix gently until combined. Can make a few hours ahead, but it doesn't keep all that well.

2 comments:

lbmartinez said...

You brought me this after I had Gabriel, and I agree that it is the best fruit salad I've had. So glad you posted it because it isn't in my version of KGH!

Robin said...

I never had this one ... but I'm sure it's the best fruit salad ever ... nice idea with the coconut!