Friday, November 14, 2008

Citrus, Rum, and Adobo Grilled Shrimp with Peppered Rice

I thought we should move along from Mexico and explore cuisine of another Spanish-speaking country so I looked through some recipes I had clipped out from long ago and found this recipe on a Visit Puerto Rico advertisement. It's really simple and the Shrimp turned out incredible. The rice was ok ... nothing special but used long grain brown rice and probably shouldn't have. I took a picture ... I'll upload it later.

Citrus, Rum and Adobo Grilled Shrimp

zest and juice of 1 orange
zest and juice of 1 lime
1 t. sugar
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. dark Puerto Rican rum (I used Bacardi Select)
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 T. fresh oregano (I used 1 t. dried)
2 t. coarse salt
1/4 t. ground black pepper
2 lbs. large shrimp, peeled and deveined

Combine all ingredients except shrimp in a large bowl. Add shrimp and marinate 30 min. Heat grill. Thread shrimp on metal skewers. Grill 3 minutes per side.

Peppered Rice

1 T. annatto oil (I couldn't find this so I subbed olive oil)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
1 minced clove garlic
1 c. long-grain rice
1 T. finely chopped cilantro
1 t. coarse salt
1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, peppers and garlic; stir 2 min. Add rice, salt and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook 18 min. or until rice is tender. Remove from heat; uncover and drape a clean kitchen cloth over the pan for 3 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork, and add cilantro. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

2 comments:

wirrek said...

Sweet. I have some shrimp in the freezer that this looks perfect for. And I will probably try the rice too, even though you said it was just ok.

KAJ said...

Donde esta your picture?