Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Southwest Cooking - Slow Cooker Chipotle-Lime Chicken Thighs

I really don't know the origin of this recipe, my sister sent it to me. But, because it uses a crockpot and chipotle chilies I'm going to declare it an American Southwest recipe. It was really good. The chicken was so incredibly tender and I love crockpot meals that use natural ingredients and don't involve a bunch of cans of stuff. I subbed 1/2 t. Chipotle Chili powder spice for the chipotle and it was the perfect amount for us. Again, I apologize for the lack of pictures. I'm having the hardest time downloading pics off our new digital camera. My goal for next month is to get better about this, but I didn't want to miss an opportunity to share a good find this time. Enjoy!

Slow Cooker Chipotle-Lime Chicken Thighs

1 cup sliced onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
4 pounds skinless chicken thighs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/4 cup lime juice
1 tablespoon minced chipotle chiles in adobo sauce with 1
teaspoon sauce from can
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 avocado, diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Lime wedges, for garnish

Arrange onion, celery and carrots in bottom of slow cooker.
Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper and arrange over
vegetables.

In a medium bowl, whisk together tomato sauce, lime juice,
chipotle chiles with sauce, and garlic. Pour mixture over
chicken.

Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4
hours. Serve half of the thighs with this meal (topped with
diced avocado and cilantro and garnished with lime wedges)
and reserve remaining thighs for another meal.

2 comments:

Mel said...

Wow, this looks great. I will definitely try to make this in the next few weeks. Super easy, too.

KAJ said...

The sounds mouth watering!! I am not a master with the crockpot however...