Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Sausage Balls

My mom and I always make these at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think my mom follows the recipe very closely as listed on the sausage package, but I do not. Below is how I usually make them:

1lb sausage (type doesn't matter, I usually use the sage version)
16oz block of cheese, shredded (I usually use sharp cheddar but you can use whatever)
Bisquick mix (I never measure how much I use)

Combine sausage and shredded cheese in bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit our until room temp (about 30 min). This makes it easier to mix. Add bisquick (about 1/3 cup at a time) and mix together by hand. I add bisquick until it starts to look crumbly and gets hard to mix in. Shape into balls (I use a cookie scoop to make them all roughly the same size). Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Sausage balls can also be frozen uncooked. I put wax paper between layers in the pan, to keep them from sticking together. Cook frozen sausage balls the same, except cooking time might be longer.

1 comment:

Vivian Thiele said...

I love sausage balls! I made a peach mango salsa that is just amazing to dip these balls in to!!!