Thursday, July 28, 2011

Red pepper hummus pitas

As usual, I'm so far behind in my blogging that I'm squeaking in my first post just before the end of the month.

With the summer heat, the last thing I want to do is cook, so we try to keep it simple, but still use up all of the vegetables we get from our CSA and our meager garden. One summer staple is ratatouille, which Kerri already blogged about. We honestly make this once or twice a week and throw in whatever vegetables we have on ice.
Another staple in our house is hummus. Again, it's generally a mixture of things I have on hand. This batch contained:

Garbanzo beans
Great northern beans
Roasted red peppers
Tahini (sesame seed paste)
Dried tomatoes (that I put on the dehydrator last summer)
Parsley, sage and basil from my herb garden
Olive oil, salt and pepper

I throw all of this in my Magic bullet and blend it up. Miss Kerri gave me the idea of using great northern beans in addition to the garbanzo beans. It's much easier to get a creamier hummus.

This hummus was slathered on a pita with chicken, spinach, feta cheese, and tomatoes from my garden. On the table in 10 minutes and no hot oven to heat up my house. Perfect.

1 comment:

wirrek said...

Love the idea of putting dried tomatoes in. Hey, I bought a dehydrator and been drying tons. Thanks for the idea!