Thursday, August 25, 2011

Marsala Beef



I made a curry dish earlier this month for another challenge I take part in.  I was so intrigued by the recipes I had found for curry dishes that involved using curry leaf.  Unfortunately, small towns don't carry curry leaves.  During a recent trip, I visited some ethnic markets and found my curry leaves! So for the monthly challenge, I am revisiting curry recipes! This was yummy, but I had to adapt the recipe a bit because I was unable to find coconut oil.  What I did worked out great, but next time I would change the type of chili pepper I used to one with a bit more kick to it.

Marsala Beef With Ginger and Curry Leaf
adapted recipe from allrecipes.com
Ingredients:
3 bay leaves
1 (1 inch) piece cinnamon stick 
5 cardamom pods
2 whole cloves  (recipe called for 4 but I am not a huge clove fan)
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
10 whole black peppercorns
2 pounds cross rib roast, cubed
3 cups chopped onion, divided
2 pasilla peppers,chopped
1 (1 1/2 inch) piece fresh ginger root, grated
6 cloves garlic,chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
4 fresh curry leaves
1/2 cup coconut butter
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS:
1. To make the masala powder: Grind the bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, fennel seeds and peppercorns in a spice grinder until mixture is a fine powder. I used a coffee grinder that I set aside for grinding spices only.
2. Place the beef cubes, masala powder, 2 cups chopped onion, green chiles, grated fresh ginger, garlic and turmeric in a large, heavy pot. Add water to cover (about 1 cup) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until beef is cooked through. Add salt. Stir and continue to simmer about 10 minutes or until mixture is almost dry, but do not allow it to burn (add a bit more water, if necessary). Set aside.
3.  Over a large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and mustard seeds; cook until they begin to pop. Immediately add remaining 1 cup chopped onion and stir over medium heat until onions soften and begin to brown, about 10 to 12 minutes. Add curry leaves and cook until brown, about 3 minutes. Add coconut butter ( used the butter found at the top of an unshaken can of coconut milk)
4.Stir in the beef mixture and black pepper,. Cook until heated through. Top with lemon juice just before serving.

1 comment:

wirrek said...

I just remembered, I had a recipe I was dying to try that used curry leaves, but never could find any. Not even on my normal online sources. I have since forgotten, but thanks for the reminder!