Wednesday, August 6, 2008

B's Favorite Green Beans

My mother in law first introduced me to green beans made this way and I loved them so much. I have added a couple things to "make it my own".

1-2 lbs fresh green beans, snipped and washed
1 small onion chopped
3 slices bacon sliced in 1/4 in strips
1 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp sherry
salt and pepper

Place oil in a big pan with a lid over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 5 minutes, then add chopped bacon and allow to cook for a few minutes more before adding the green beans. Place lid on pan and cook until beans are at desired tenderness. We like them WELL done! Add salt and pepper midway through cooking along with vinegar, brown sugar and sherry. Allow all ingredients to simmer and make a dark caramelized dressing for the beans.

These really are tasty. I forgot to take the picture before dinner and this was all that remained :) That is a good sign I guess!

1 comment:

wirrek said...

As Mark would say, everything is better with bacon!