Thursday, April 30, 2009

2 of our Faves

One thing that I've learned for this challenge is that I have no idea how much I paid for the stuff already in my pantry. I go to the grocery once a month and try to get everything we'll need for the whole month (except for things like bread and milk which we go through a lot of in our house). Anyway, I cut coupons and compare prices between brands and stores to get the best deal before I go shopping, but then I forget!

We also tend to buy things in bulk. We love our local Sam's Club. I can buy soups I use for cooking or frozen breads and lots of other things I use. Some of the prices I put on my recipes are what my local grocery store sells them for, not necessarily what I paid.

So here it goes:

1) Taco Bake - This on my husband loves. It serves us both at supper and then him twice again during the week for lunch leftovers. If your kids are picky like mine, use the leftover tortillas and cheese to make quesadillas.

taco sauce 1.50
90/10 hamburger meat 3.49
8 count pkg tortillas 1.98
cheese sauce 3.49
1/2 c onion, diced ??
1/2 c green pepper, diced ??
Shredded cheese 1.98
Rice 1.29
Total $15.93

Brown the hamburger meat with the onion and green pepper. Drain. Add the taco sauce and half jar water. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Add half jar cheese sauce (I use Tostitos queso). In round pan, layer tortilla, meat sauce, shredded cheese. I use 4 tortillas total. End with meat sauce layer. Top with remaining cheese sauce. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. If you let it sit for a few minutes it will cut and serve easily. We usually serve with Rice-a-roni chicken fajita rice.

2) Cheese Tortellini with Chicken in Roasted Red Pepper Sauce (This is a favorite with my girls! Once again, it provides one supper and at least 2 lunches for K. This is quick and easy to fix. It's a staple for soccer night!)

Frozen Cheese Tortellini 3.49
Refrigerated Cooked Diced Chicken 2.99
Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo Sauce 2.49
Frozen Garlic Bread 2.69 (8 slices)
Total $11.66

Cook pasta as directed and then drain. Heat chicken and sauce until warm. Toss pasta with chicken.

No comments: