Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Red Beans and Rice

What could be more economical then beans and rice, am I right?

Photobucket

Found this recipe on epicurious. I was planning on doing something more cajun, but this seemed interesting. I love those one pot meals.

Red Beans and Rice

3 bacon slices, chopped - $0.50
1 cup chopped onion - $0.30
3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper - $1.00
4 garlic cloves, minced $0.10
3 cups long-grain white rice - $0.50
3 bay leaves - who knows
2 tablespoons tomato paste - $0.10
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon hot Spanish smoked paprika (Pimentón de la Vera) (I used mild and a few dashes of chipolte powder_
2 teaspoons salt
4 cups water
1 15- to 151/2-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed, drained (I used 3 cups cooked dried beans) - $0.50

Total - $3.00...is that right? I am estimating, but we did get 2 meals out of this. I need to check some of these figures.

PreparationSauté chopped bacon in heavy 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat until bacon is brown and fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Add onion, red bell pepper, and garlic; sauté until onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Add rice and stir until coated, about 1 minute. Stir in bay leaves, tomato paste, cumin, paprika, and salt. Add 4 cups water and beans and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 18 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand covered 10 minutes. Fluff rice with fork. Remove bay leaves. Transfer rice to bowl and serve.


Photobucket

I paired my meal with coleslaw with a homemade cider vinagrette - about $1.00

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I love your china pattern :)
(the food looks yummy, too!)

Robin said...

I made something similar last night with a cuban flare ( with black beans). We also enjoyed Ropa Vieja, which was that cuban shredded beef dish that I made for you and Mark once ... remember that? But, since the beef cost me $10 alone I'll have to post the recipe another month ... but it made me think of you! :)

Sorry, I've been MIA this month but we have inlaws in town for the month of April and it has been hard to get anything posted!

KAJ said...

Man Brian was so mad that you posted this first...I bet he beat u to the PBJ though, right?

We are going to do our own version as well!