Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Tortellini Soup

I think I started making this soup from a recipe a few years ago, but I changed some things, made it a little easier, and now I just throw everything in a pot. You can seriously have this on the table in 20 minutes or less. This time I subbed kale and Swiss chard from the garden for the spinach and I forgot to add chickpeas, but this is how I usually make it:

2 cans vegetable broth
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cups water
1 10-oz package frozen spinach
1 package frozen or dried tortellini (I think my package was 19 oz-frozen)
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Salt and pepper, to taste
Parmesan cheese, for serving

In a medium pot, heat broth, tomatoes, water and spinach (I don't even bother thawing it first) over medium-high heat. When simmering, add tortellini and chickpeas. Cook until tortellini are tender and heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with parmesan cheese.

We had veggie sandwiches to go along side. Here's a picture of our fixin's with our resident quality control expert.

No comments: