Thursday, August 9, 2007

Remedy for Homesickness

Frequently, I long for the abundance of Mexican food that Texas offered. Since I am homesick and up to my ears in tomatoes and jalepenos, I decided to make some salsa for a cookout we are having tomorrow. Though fresh salsa is great, I sometimes prefer to cook it (as in this case) to mellow and blend some of the flavors. Please forgive any estimations...I was winging it. Also, this made a quart! Most people don't need that much salsa at a time.

1 medium white onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 jalepenos, minced (this gave a good mild/medium heat level)
about 2 pounds tomatoes, diced
2-3 Tbsp lime juice
a handful or two of cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper

Heat some olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions, garlic, and peppers. When the onions have softened, add the tomatoes and about half a teaspoon of salt. Cook until the tomatoes release their juice and break down a little. Remove from heat and cool for 15 minutes or so. Stir in lime juice and cilantro and taste for salt and pepper. This will give a chunky salsa, but I prefer an even consistency, so I pureed it in a food processor (this is also great because you don't have to worry about chopping up the garlic or jalepenos finely). This is usually better if made a day ahead and refrigerated.

1 comment:

wirrek said...

Hey, I was just telling my mom we should make some fresh salsa to use up tomatoes! Thanks for the reminder. I like to grill the ingredients to give it a smokey flavor. Hopefully I can make some this week.