Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Smoky Chickpea Spread - in a sandwich



Can you still respect me as a vegetarian blogger if I admit that I prefer my chickpeas without tahini? That is nothing short of blasphemy in the veg food blogger world....

I keep trying hummus recipes and have yet to find one that totally grabs me, mainly because I don't like the bitterness and astringency that I think tahini brings to the dish. I, being the super smart lady that I am, finally realized I could make a tahini-less hummus. Novel, yes.

Smoky Chickpea Spread (aka tahini-less smoky hummus)

Ingredients:

  • 1 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or about 1.5 c cooked chickpeas)
  • 3/4 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp dried chipotle
  • 1/2 tsp dried garlic (or 1 clove minced fresh garlic)
  • 4 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp EVOO
Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a food processor until mostly smooth (it will be thicker and chunkier than humus). Add salt and pepper to taste

2 comments:

Jenny said...

i've done hummus without the tahini! (gasp!) and i managed to get it pretty smooth, too...i just can't remember if i added more evoo or if i added some water? (been a while.)

will definitely have to try this spice combo--sounds yummy!

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

What a great idea for a cooking blog...