Monday, July 2, 2007

Did I win??

Well, since I only committed to making one ethnic meal during the month of July, I decided to make it last night - July 1st! I made a wonderful Asian soup dish from the Rachael Ray 365 book.

Spicy Shrimp and Bok Choy Noodle Bowl

3 tb veg oil (I used half tsp)
2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2-in fresh ginger, grated (we used a little more)
1/2 lb shitake mushroom caps, sliced (omitted)
1 medium bok choy, trimed and cut into 3-in pieces, then cut lengthwise into sticks (used 2 bok choys)
1 qt chicken broth
1 c seafood stock or clam juice (clams for me)
1 1/2 lb medium peeled and deveined shrimp (used 1.82 lbs)
1/2 lb vermicelli (used regular spaghetti)
4 scallions, cut into 3-in pieces, then sliced lengthwise into thin sticks

Directions: Heat soup pot. Add oil, red pepper, garlic, ginger, shrooms, and bok choy. Season with salt & pepper. Add the chicken stock and seafood stock (clam juice). Put on a lid, then bring to boil. Add shrimp and noodles and cook 3 minutes (little more for regular spaghetti). Add scallions and cook 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the soup sit 2-3 more minutes. Serve.

Okay, now that I've typed up everything, I get to make my review. First of all, I wouldn't have typed anything for a yucky recipe. This stuff was GREAT!!!! I mean, Scott and I were jumping out of our seats for how amazingly tasty this was. I can't wait to eat the leftovers today.

It has a spicy taste, but tastes like any solid meal at a thai restaurant. I recommend using as many shrimp as you can, because it gives it quite a bit more sustenance. Overall, I give this recipe 67 stars for excellence (on a scale of 1 to 10). If you don't make this meal, you are missing out on something super easy and super tasty!!

2 comments:

wirrek said...

What, no greek food? I'm surprised. Well, maybe SCOTT should make something and participate. It's only fair.

Did you make it in 30 minutes?

Robin said...

Sounds great and fast ... definitely want to try it out.