Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Under the wire

Made two more recipes to finish out the month. The first is HOSKA. Just saying that word makes me want to go mmmmmmmmmmm.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is my mom's recipes that she makes for family gatherings. My sister is coming to town next week, so we make hoska. The recipe is from a Fleischmann's cookbook.

5 to 6 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp grated lemon peel
2 pkgs active dry yeast
1 cup milk
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup margarine
2 eggs at room temp
1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds, finely ground in food processor

In a large bowl mix 1 1/2 cup flour, sugar, salt, lemon peel, and yeast.

Combine milk, water, margarine in a saucepan. Heat over low heat until liquids are very warm. Margarine does not need to melt. Gradually add dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes at medium speed in an electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add eggs, 1/2 cup flour. Beat at high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Add almonds and enough flour to make a stiff dough. Knead until smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes. Let rest 20 minutes.

Divide dough in half. Divide each half into 4 equal pieces. Roll the 4 pieces into ropes 14 inches long. Braid 3 pieces together on greased baking sheet. Tuck ends under to seal. Place last piece over braid. Repeat with remaining 4 pieces

Cover loosely with wax paper brushed with oil. Refrigerate 2 to 24 hours. Let stand at room temp 10 minutes.

Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

I like mine slightly toasted with unsalted butter for breakfast.

For dinner last night, I finally made Pad Thai.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
(I like the action shots)

Wow!! I would say that it was pretty close to what I had at Pei Wei. I was very impressed. Melissa - this might be a good one for you. I did all the prep work during James's afternoon nap so when I put it together at dinner time, it was ready pretty quickly.

I could not find tamarind anything, so I used the lime juice, water, and brown sugar substitute. I think if I ever do find that tamarind, that will put it over the top. What else...added tofu, grated carrots, sliced radishes, left out dried shrimp, salted radishes, and bean sprouts. I would definately make this one again, but I am not sure if Mark liked it. The only things he said about it were "IS THERE TOFU IN THIS??" and "I never ordered Pad Thai".

Lastly, I wanted to share the red cabbage recipe my mom made for our German night. I have tried several, and this is the one I liked best. From Better Crocker - go figure!

Sweet-Sour Red Cabbage
1 medium head red cabbage
4 slices bacon, diced
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 TB flour
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 small onion, sliced

Prepare and cook 5 cups shredded cabbage as directed on page 420 for red cabbage (be sure to add the 2 TB vinegar or lemon juice to salted water) (sigh, I don't have page 420 - sorry!)

Fry bacon until crisp; remove and drain. Pour off all but 1 TB bacon drippings. Stir brown sugar and flour into bacon drippings in skillet. Add water, salt, vinegar, pepper, and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes until mixture thickens.

Add bacon and sauce to hot cabbage. Stir together gently and heat through. 6 servings.

Ok, that is finally all. Not onto the challenge wrap up.

No comments: