Monday, July 16, 2007

Thai Lime Beef salad, part 2

My mom is out of town for a few days, so I invited my dad over for dinner. I told him I was planning on making sloppy joes. (he doesn't like the fish/vegetarian meals) He sheepishly asked instead "wasn't there a lime beef salad on your blog?" I got the OK from Mark and off we went. Robin - it was wonderful. Very close to what I remember it tasting like. I cut up all the vegetables and made the dressing during James's afternoon nap so all I had to do at dinner time was grill the steak and put it together. I did make one mistake. That fish sauces smells so horrible, but in dish, it always works. Well, I got a little insecure about it and added more lime juice at the last second. The dressing ended up a little too tangy, but still good. Another thing I might do in the future, it that I remember this dish being cold, and next time I might chill the meat to get that same result.

Melissa - You should really make this one. Very strong Asian flavors from the fresh herbs and vegetables, and the only fat in it was from the steak.

This is definitely a keeper. Thanks so much Robin!!

3 comments:

Robin said...

Yes, I considered mentioning this about the dressing. Here I went to all this work and had this beautiful salad before me and my instinct was to not pour this nasty dressing on it! This is why it is so important to use all the herbs, I think ... it's the combination of the flavors that work ... but, seperate on their own they just don't work! I loved it so much I made it for a second time (since I already had the herbs) before Alex came home on sunday.

wirrek said...

I had to share this recipe.

http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?p=1243920#post1243920

KristiB said...

I made this last night and it was yummy! I did the meat on the grill as opposed to the broiler and I pounded my garlic and jalepeno to a paste in my mortar. Instead of Jalepeno, next time I may use a Thai bird chile instead. I've been cooking my way through the Hot Sour Salty Sweet cookbook so luckily I had all the ingredients on hand.