Monday, May 17, 2010

Chimichurri

I realize the request this month is for side dishes, but I have a condiment that is so worthy of posting, I must. Plus, I doubt there will be a month dedicated to condiments!

This chimichurri recipe is from Central Market. It is the best chimichurri I have ever tasted, and although I made it Saturday, just thinking about it makes me drool a little.

You can serve this on steak, chicken, or even some empanadas. We served ours with steak simply seasoned with salt/pepper. Wow!!

You must make this dish for your spouses. They will drool, think you are amazing, and ask when you are making it again.

Here you go:

1 bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 bunch cilantra, finely chopped
3 Tb capers, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 Tb red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp salt (I used about 1.25 tsp and it was perfect. It does require a lot of salt)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup good extra virgin olive oil

Put parsley, cilantro, capers, and garlic in a medium bowl and toss to combine. Add vinegar, salt, red and black pepper and stir. Pour in olive oil and mix until well combined. Allow to sit for 30 minutes before serving so the flavors blend.

For our version, I split it in half just before the oil. I added about 1 Tb oil to my section (yes, I'm a freak), and I added 3-4 Tb for DH's version. Both were excellent and I was delighted to have something healthy and low fat to enjoy.

2 comments:

wirrek said...

I have wanted to try a chimichurri, but I never really liked parsley. I should try it again!

Mel said...

I'm not sure how you would like this if you don't like parsley at all. I think the salt and caper become the dominant flavors, while the cilantro and parsley are there for support. You should try it anyways. Mark would love it!