Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup

Photobucket

I do like butternut squash, but a wierd things happens when I made it. My hand that touchs the squash gets all dry and tight, probably some sort of allergic reaction. I can't find anyone else who has the same problem. It is wierd. The same thing happened when carving my Halloween pumpkin, so that is how I know pumpkin is a squash! At any rate, I was excited to try a soup like this, because I am trying to get my younger son to eat more vegtables. He likes soup, so I thought this would be an easy way to do that.

I used this recipe. It was funny, when looking for a recipe to try. I found a very simple out that was just the squash, an onion, and broth, but all the reviews said thet added potatoes, carrots, etc, and then the one I used said to use all those extra veggies, and all the reviews said they only used an onion and broth. Funny, right?

My soup turned out really thick. I think my squash was pretty big. I used my immersian blender. It you don't have one, get one! It is ridiculous to put it in a blender.

Photobucket

I served it with homemade wheat bread. The kids also got "butterflies" from the freezer. I thought they could dip it in the soup.

Photobucket

That was a no-go. The only way I got both of my kids to try it was the promise of Halloween candy!

3 comments:

lbmartinez said...

Okay, so the same thing happened to my fingers the last time I made butternut squash. What is that all about?!

lbmartinez said...

I just looked it up on Wikipedia. "butternut squash dermatitis," if you can believe such a thing exists.

Vivian Thiele said...

I am sorry about your squash dermatitis incident... never heard of such a thing! A bigger squash could have been responsible for the thickness but I find adding a bit more milk or cream helps with that problem. I still haven't used my immersion blender. Guess its time to pull it out. All this talk about butternut squash soup is getting to my tummy! Thanks for taking part in the challenge