Monday, January 21, 2008

Kerri's Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna revisited

I couldn't stop thinking about Kerri's Red Pepper Lasagna so I made it this evening. I was so surprised at how much the roasted red pepper taste comes out in the tomato sauce. After reading her comments about it not being very filling I wanted to tweak it a bit and see if I could make it a little more substantial. I kept the original recipe but added a cottage cheese filling and, I think, it helped add a little more substance to the dish. We both liked the dish a lot but I certainly wouldn't replace regular lasagna with this one (as one person said in the comments section of the recipe website). I would say if you have some peppers to use up this would make a great dish to use them on. Here is my cottage cheese filling:

400 g. (12 oz) cottage cheese
1 egg
1 c. parmesan (as the recipe states)
parsley (as the recipe states)

Mix above together and add in the layering process before the bechamel. Also I used no-boil noodles and made my sauces slightly runnier. Bake covered with aluminum foil. The one other change I did was to puree my sauce so that it had a more even red pepper taste throughout.

2 comments:

wirrek said...

How does the cottage cheese differ from ricotta? I am just surprised the italian allowed it! Glad you liked it. It has been so long since I have made an actual lasagna (I usually cheat and make ziti) I think that made me enjoy this one more. I should try your lasagna soon!

Robin said...

You could use ricotta or cottage cheese interchangeably. My grocery store is not very well stocked on Mondays so I couldn't find ricotta without going all over Berlin. Either is fine and when baked in lasagna there is not much difference in my opinion.