Sunday, January 20, 2008

Truffled Vegetable Pot Pie

Ok, I'm going to make a bold statement. You haven't lived until you have experienced the taste of truffles. I'm not talking chocolately dessert truffles ... I'm talking the most incredible mushroom/fungus in the world truffles. Once you taste it you will either hate it and never want to taste it again or you will be addicted to it and want it in everything. It has a truly distinct taste. The first time I tasted truffle was in Northern Italy on a plate of polenta with a slice of melted cheese and finely grated black truffle. Truffles are very difficult to find and if you do they are very expensive to buy. One of my discoveries has been truffle flavored olive oil which can be used on pasta, risotto, soups, etc. I found this small 2 oz. bottle for 7 euros ($10) at my local market and it will last quite a while ... a little bit goes a long way.


This recipe is from Bon Appetit, Sept. 2005 issue and was a recipe submitted by Cafe Boulud in Manhattan. I'll post the recipe as written but I halved it and had to do some substituting based on what is sold at my market but I think I kept with the overall theme of the recipe. You can make one big pot pie in a souffle dish (like I did) or several individual serving pot pies if you have 2 cup ramekin dishes. My husband and I both agreed this would be best as individual pot pies. The sauce surrounding the veggies is really creamy and delicious and deserves to be surrounded by a great pastry crust!


Truffled Vegetable Pot Pie(s)
----------------------
Sauce:
2/3 c. unsalted butter
2/3 c. all purpose flour
8 c. vegetable broth
2/3 c. half and half
2 t. truffle oil

Filling:
24 pearl onions
3 T. butter
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4" pieces
2 medium parnsips, peeled and cut into 3/4" pieces
2 medium fennel bulbs, halved and thinly sliced
1 lb. fingerling potatoes, peeled and halved
1 med. celery root (celeriac), peeled and cut into 3/4" pieces
1 large gala apple, peeled and cored and cut into 3/4" pieces
1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into 3/4" pieces
1 large leek (white and paled green parts only), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
3/4 lb. assorted mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/2 savoy cabbage, cored and thinly sliced crosswise (about 7 cups)

1 (17.3 oz) pkg. frozen puff pastry, thawed

2 large eggs
1 T. water
3 T. chopped toasted hazelnuts
fine sea salt

For the sauce: Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk in broth. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 15 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat; whisk in half and half and truffle oil. Season with salt and pepper.

For the filling: Cook onions in saucepan of boiling salted water 2 minutes; drain. Transfer to a bowl of ice water; cool. Peel. Melt butter in heavy large pot over med-hi heat. Add onions, carrots, and next 9 ingredients. Cook until cabbage wilts and veggies begin to soften, about 12 minutes. Stir in sauce. Bring filling to a boil; reduce heat to med-lo and simmer until veggies are just tender, stirring often about 5 minutes. (Can be made 8 hrs. ahead. Cool slightly, Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm over med. heat before using.)

Preheat oven to 375F. Unroll pastry dough and cut to fit your dish(es). Whisk eggs and 1 T. water in bowl for glaze. Divide hot filling among 10 (2 cup) ramekins or a large souffle dish. Brush rims with glaze, top with pastry, pressing along the rim to adhere. Brush pastry with glaze; sprinkle with hazelnuts and sea salt. Bake until golden 15-20 minutes.

Things I had to cut out or sub: I completely left out the pearl onions, apple and cabbage and subbed a turnip for the rutabaga.

2 comments:

wirrek said...

I think I am a truffle person! I think Mark would love this one, even without meat. Maybe I'll use the biscuit topping from lbmartinez for this filling...

Robin said...

Yes, that biscuit topping did look incredible!