Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Pepperonata


I kind of forgot about this dish as a vegetarian dish. It's one of my standard side dishes when I want something easy and tasty. All the veggies can be roughly chopped into chunky pieces. A great vitamin C packed side dish.

1 onion, roughly chopped (or I often use 1 leek white part only halved and finely sliced)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 eggplant, quartered and chopped
3 tomatoes, chopped (or use canned)
1 clove garlic, smashed
4 T. olive oil (roughly)
handful of fresh basil leaves

In a saucepan, heat a couple tablespoons of oil on med heat. Saute leeks until fragrant and soft, don't brown. Add remaining oil, peppers, tomatoes and eggplant. Cover and cook slowly for 20-30 min. The tomatoes should break down and peppers and eggplant should be soft. Season with salt and pepper. Near the end of the cooking time add your basil leaves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was hoping that someone would post an eggplant dish that I could try. This sounds perfect, but do I dare serve it to Papa?