Friday, January 4, 2008

Winter Squash and Apples

It seems as though I've been making a lot of veggie dishes lately, but veggies are yummy, right? Well, not always, hence the theme this month for all of us to get some good ideas. This is also one I debuted at Christmas which was a huge hit as well. I can't wait to make this again, except peeling a butternut squash isn't exactly enjoyable.

1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled and sliced
2 apples, cored and cut into slices (apple slicer works great - no need to peel the apples)
1 medium onion, quartered and sliced

Combine salt and pepper into small bowl. Set aside. Cut squash into 2 inch pieces and place in slow cooker. Add apples and onion. Sprinkle with salt mixture. Stir well. Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours.

Here's a tip. I actually made this twice at Christmas. The first time I mixed it while it was cooking. It looked a little unpleasasnt, but tasted awesome. The second, I resisted all urges and never once opened the lid or touched it until we served it up. It looked BEAUTIFUL. I can assure you that this one is a definite keeper. Give it a try before all the winter squash disappears.

3 comments:

wirrek said...

I love that you can make this in a slow cooker. Can't wait to try it.

Robin said...

I don't know if you have tried it already or not ... but, I have had good success peeling butternut squash with a good quality vegetable peeler. Mine is from Pampered Chef and is really sharp and can cut through the tough skin of squash and peel it really well. It is really hard to do it free hand with a peeling knife ... but I don't have good knife skills.

Mel said...

Thanks Robin, I'm glad I'm not the only one with limited knife abilities. I did use a peeler, but maybe mine isn't so sharp. It seemed quite difficult. Perhaps I should upgrade