Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Polenta and Black Bean Casserole

This recipe isn't so much a casserole, as a Mexican polenta lasagna.

polenta

Meant to take a better picture, but forgot and started eating. Oops! Anyways, I tried this once a long time ago and wasn't impressed, but rediscovered it after I had my son. This is a fresh tasting dish that really calls for opening a bunch of cans and dumping them in. Plus, clean up is a snap. I leave out the cream the original recipe calls for...it really doesn't make a difference in the final product. I served it with sliced avocado with lime juice and salt and pepper, my current favorite super easy vegetable side.

5 comments:

Robin said...

I remember seeing this one in the book. Alex loves polenta.

Mel said...

Is there a way to make it with cornmeal? I thought polenta was just cornmeal and milk, so maybe I could make my own? Anybody?

wirrek said...

You could make your own polenta, but you have to make the polenta, then let it set, then cut it into slices. The stuff in the grocery store is just a lot easier. I can get you a recipe though if you like.

Robin said...

I was taught by Italians to make polenta with 4:1 ratio of water to polenta flour. I can't remember for sure, but I think american cornflour is too floury ...it needs to be a bit more coarse (like grits consistency). I think Bob's Red Mill brand makes a decent polenta flour. Add the flour, very slowly (one handful at a time so it won't clump), to rapidly boiling water ... and stand back because it pops and spatters. I always have a kettle of hot water next to me and slowly add more water and stir for 30 minutes until it is the desired consistency that I want. Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

I made my own polenta for this. When you're done cooking it spead the hot polenta in your casserole and then add the other ingredients on top. Yum ( I'm not wild about pre-packaged polenta.)