Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Chicken Tikka with Bean Salad


This challenge is proving to be a real challenge for me! I've made a few things and then decided they weren't worth the trouble to post and that I wouldn't make them again. And, then a couple of times I've made something, it turned out, and then I decided it didn't fall within the spirit of the challenge - quick and easy one-dish. I don't even know if this post is really one-dish because it requires a bunch of "side projects" but it only took 30 minutes and the ingredients were relatively easy to find in my local grocery store. This is a recipe I saved from a UK cooking magazine called, Delicious. It was in the Healthy Eating section of the magazine. Serves 4.

Also, tikka masala curry paste is very family friendly ... it didn't taste spicy at all ... rather sweet instead. My little one really liked it.

600 g. (little over a pound) chicken breast strips
3 T. tikka masala curry paste (an Indian style curry paste ... I used a brand called Bamboo Garden)
1 lemon, juiced
2 T. thick greek yogurt (use full fat yogurt if you can't find greek yogurt ... greek yogurt is really thick like sour cream)
300 g. (between 1/2-3/4 lb) thin green beans
1 bag ready to go salad
2 T. olive oil

Mix the curry paste and greek yogurt in a glass dish. Juice 1 lemon and add half to the curry paste mixture. Toss the chicken strips into the curry paste mixture and coat. Let marinate for 1 hour in the fridge.

Blanch in boiling salted water (or steam) the green beans to the desired degree of doneness. Run under cool water to halt the cooking. Toss the green beans with the salad in a large bowl.

Heat 1 T. olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over med. heat. Cook the chicken strips in batches for 3-4 minutes each side or until cooked through. I followed the recipe this way but I think they would look and taste even better if you throw them on a grill instead.

Mix the remaining lemon juice, 1 T. olive oil and some salt and ground pepper. Toss with the salad and bean mixture. Divide between 4 plates. Place the chicken fillets on top. Garnish with 1 T. greek yogurt, if desired.

1 comment:

wirrek said...

I am not sure if I can find that tikki masala...I would be worried it would be too spicy for my little one!