Monday, March 10, 2008

Slow-Cooker Beef Stew

stew

Thanks to the recent cold snap, I decided to make a beef stew. I would have prefered to make this myself and stimmer it on the stove, but alas, too busy. I used my crock pot instead. Nothing says "one dish meal" like a crock pot! Now, I am a cook who uses her crock pot, but I am very picky about what I make. To me, most things end up tasting like they are from a crock pot and I always have trouble with certain things that no one else seems to. I made several changes to this dish. I used chuck roast, added onions, celery, garlic, and cooked it on high for about 5 hours, then on the stove for an hour. Again, this one was ok, but I think it has potential. It would definately help if I sauted the onions, celery, garlic before hand. I cut my potatoes and carrots smaller than directed, but they still weren't done (thus the simmering on the stove), maybe even smaller next time? The broth was the real winner...thick and hearty. I am sure I can find a better beef stew recipe, but if you are short on time, this one will do in a pinch. Wonderful with crusy rolls.

2 comments:

Mel said...

Stew is always so tasty during cold, wet weather. I think I'll make some soup tonight.

Robin said...

The picture looks magazine quality! I'm surprised I would have thought 5 hours on hi would have cooked your veggies but I'm not very experienced with a crockpot either.