Friday, May 8, 2009

Triple Chicken



I started with a whole chicken that I roasted using this recipe. I followed it pretty much except that I used russet potatoes instead of red (because that's what I had on hand) and I didn't make the gravy. The chicken turned out great and I loved the roasted onions. Next time I'll add even more onions. I served it with a salad and bread.






We were left with about 1.5 cups of roasted chicken. I used the carcass (does that word disgust anyone else, or is it just me?) to make some chicken stock. I think the roasted carcass adds such a good flavor to the stock. I put it in the crock pot with some water celery, onions, carrots and parsley and cooked it on high for a couple of hours. I chilled overnight and skimmed the fat the next morning. I got about 4c of broth that I froze for use in a soup sometime.


Tonight I used the leftover chicken to make a Chicken Broccoli Alfredo pizza. It turned out really good and was a nice change of pace from the usual veggie pizza we eat on Friday nights. My kids devoured this.
Not bad for a $5.00 chicken!

2 comments:

wirrek said...

I haven't had a lot of luck with roast chicken, maybe I will try this one. I will definately try that pizza. Thanks for sharing!

KAJ said...

Carcass is a gross word! I just say "the bones" :)

You are such an overachiever!! Triple!