Friday, May 30, 2008

Have I lost my tolerance?


I thought maybe it is possible that I have lost my tolerance to spicy food since I've lived in the land of bland food for nearly 3 years. After inheriting a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce from another expat family leaving for America, I decided to make Smoked Chicken in Red Pepper Sauce. Wow ... this was hot! I should have read the reviews before making this because this seemed to be the consensus from everyone. Good ... but HOT! I thought chipotles were smoky but not very spicy so I used the whole jar as instructed. I think it was too much ... I would only use a couple next time. I served the chicken with polenta ... it made a nice duo. The only tweak I did was to add a cup of water to the chicken and pepper mix and let the chicken braise on a low heat for 30 minutes. It turned out very tender and there was enough of a sauce to put over the polenta.

*** Update: I just re-read the recipe and I think I (along with everyone else who rated it) read the recipe wrong. Check it out for yourself .... does that mean 1 chipotle chili, chopped or 1 drained can of chipotles, chopped??? After reading it, I think it is 1 chili only ... just a bad way of writing it or maybe a tired cook.....

2 comments:

wirrek said...

No, its not you Robin, that one is spicy. I don't make it much anymore. It is a good recipe, but one Mark isn't all that crazy about. I think I would usually make a comment about only using 1 pepper, but must have forgotten for your version. Sorry!

KristiB said...

It says one canned chili which means one pepper.

Oh man I can't imagine how spicy this was since you used the whole jar!!! I hope you had a lot of starch or milk on hand to quench that fire!

I'm going to try the recipe. I use chipotles quite a bit and yes they're smoky but have a kick.