Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Potato-Cucumber Salad


Cucumbers are abundant this time of year and I found some great mini gurkens (as they are called here) so I made this recipe that I came across in the German food magazine, Lecker. The pretty picture is theirs as I realized after I finished the dish that my husband took the camera on a business trip.

Kartoffel-Gurken-Salat

2 lb. potatoes (the type you use to boil not the type you use for baking or mashing)
1 onion
4 strips bacon
5 T. white wine vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar because it was on hand)
1/2 t. vegetable boullion
1/2 t. mustard
1 t. honey
3 T. raps oil (which I believe translates to our canola oil)
1 cucumber
1 small bunch of fresh dill (or parsley)

Wash the potatoes, cover with water and boil for about 20 minutes. Drain the water off and peel the potatoes. Set aside and let cool.

For the marinade, chop the onion into fine dice. Cook bacon until crispy, drain on paper towels. Put vinegar and 1/2 c. water in a saucepan and bring to a low boil. Add the bouillion, mustard and honey and whisk well. Season marinade with salt and pepper. Add the oil and whisk until well combined. Add bacon and onion

Slice the potatoes and toss with the hot marinade. Let it sit for 30 minutes with the top on. Peel cucmbers and thinly slice. Toss with potatoes and marinade. Top with dill or parsley and season with salt and pepper.

1 comment:

KAJ said...

This sounds very delicious. I think I thought there were zuchinni in because I only glanced at the picture. I think that I might try this! I love the germans and their potatoes with the bacon and the vinegar!