Friday, February 22, 2008

Gulasch Suppe (Goulasch Soup)


There are a few German recipes I was hoping to master before leaving Berlin in a few months. Goulasch soup was one of them and I have made it so many times with so many different recipes and each time it is missing something. Here in Berlin, it is served everywhere at this time of year and I can't seem to master the balance between paprika and caraway to mimic it. I'm missing some ingredient but can't seem to find a recipe that tells me what it is. Here is my latest attempt ... a subpar Goulasch soup, in my opinion. I didn't have marjoram so I left it out but that just may be the missing ingredient. I have cooked with marjoram before and remember it being surprisingly fragrant and having a distinct taste.

300 g./ 10oz. stew beef, cut into chunks
3 T. cooking oil
1 liter/ 4.5c. beef stock or water
200 g. / 7 oz. onions
1 clove garlic
1 yellow bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 regular can diced tomatoes (I think they are 14.5 oz cans in the US)
2 T. tomato paste
strong paprika powder, to taste
1/2 t. ground caraway
dried marjoram, to taste

Brown the meat on all sides in the cooking oil. Add stock and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over med-low heat for 1 hour. Meanwhile, prep veggies. Peel onions and cut into slices. Peel garlic and dice. Clean peppers and chop roughly. After the beef has cooked slowly for an hour, add the prepped veggies, tomatoes, and tomato puree. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, caraway and marjoram. Bring back to a low boil. Cover and cook slowly for another 20-30 minutes. Taste and correct seasoning with salt, pepper and paprika.

1 comment:

wirrek said...

I think I usually sub oregano for marajam. It might make a different, I don't know. I love how this is more of a stew than a soup. Might have to try it if the weather stays cold!