Friday, February 8, 2008

Red Lentil Soup from Gourmet Magazine


I'm telling you guys, I have a million soup recipes cut out already that have been waiting for me to try and I just needed an excuse to get me cooking. This one I quickly whipped up this week for easy, light lunches for me and my toddler. It's from Gourmet magazine ... a reader wrote in with the recipe and described it as "classic Armenian comfort food". Both of us really liked this one. It's light so I don't know if I would serve this as a main dish soup but it would be a great complement to a middle eastern meal or a light first course.

Serves (4-6)
1 large onion, chopped ( subbed a leek, finely chopped)
1 T. olive oil
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 t. ground cumin
1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf
1 sprig of thyme ( subbed a good pinch of dried)
1 c. red lentils, picked over and rinsed (subbed yellow lentils which are very similar to red lentils)
3 1/2 c. reduced sodium chicken broth
3 c. water
2 T. chopped flat-leaf parsley

Cook the onion in oil with 1/2 t. salt in a medium heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, bay leaf, and thyme, lentils, broth, water, 1/2 t. salt and 1/2 t. pepper and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until lentils are very soft and falling apart, about 30-45 minutes. Discard bay leaf and thyme sprig, then puree 2 cups of mixture in a blender and return to pan. Stir in parsley and season with salt, if needed.

I had the thought to stir in a drizzle of coconut milk next time I make this ... but, that is my addiction to hearty, creamy soups coming out. It's perfectly fine on it's own.

No comments: