Friday, February 8, 2008

Shrimp Orzo Salad with Feta

I promise, I served this in a bowl for Superbowl Sunday! This is a fantastic recipe my sister-in-law discovered and I am smitten over its yummy blend of flavors. It's also great at room temperature and perfect for parties, showers, etc.


Shrimp Orzo Salad with Feta

Ingredients

2lbs of jumbo shrimp – deveined and tail removed
2 tspn salt – divided
2 tspn of pepper – divided
1/2 cup of olive oil – divided
12 oz of orzo pasta - cooked
½ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup chopped scallions/green onions
1 cup minced fresh parsley
¾ cup minced fresh dill
1 seedless/English cucumber – chopped into cubes
½ red onion-diced
8oz of feta – chopped into cubes

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a single later, place the shrimp on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil until sufficiently coated. Also add salt/pepper until shrimp is sufficiently seasoned – about a tspn of each. Bake for 6 mins.

Cook Orzo according to package instructions. In a large bowl, add ½ cup of lemon juice, ½ cup of good olive oil, tspn of salt, tspn of pepper. Mix them together. Add cooked orzo – it is best to add the pasta to this oil/lemon mix when the pasta is warm – it will soak it up great.

After the pasta has cooled down, then add the dill, parsley, cucumber, scallions, and red onion. After the shrimp has cooled, add that to the pasta mix. Then top it off with the feta.

It is best if you make the day before. The longer it sits, the yummier it gets.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Mmmmm ... I love Orzo Salads. Whole Foods serves a mean one off their salad bar. This one sounds a little more hearty with the addition of shrimp.

Mel said...

I'm definitely not a chef, but people told me I could sell this at Eatzi's if I wanted. Again, it's not my recipe, but rather Ina from food network. Now SHE is a chef!