Monday, February 4, 2008

"This is NOT minestrone!"

minestrone

Just a word of warning, although I am not sure who I am warning except for me, Mark doesn't like soup. I think it is just too hot for my non-coffee drinking husband. He does like my Italian Sausage Soup, but he always calls it minestrone. For this challenge, I thought I would make him a minestrone so he could see what it was. I decided to make not just any minestrone, but Red Lentil Minestrone from Robin's recipe archive (Thanks Robin). I just have a bunch of red lentils so this seemed like a good one to try. Well, I was informed that we were eating vegtable soup and NOT minestrone, so I guess it didn't go over that well. However, I liked it just fine. The lentils kind of disappeared into the soup, but they gave it a richer texture than a normal vegtable soup. I would definately use this technique again. Oh, I added some onion and garlic, and my carrots and potato took a little longer to cook. Probably operator error.

The bread in the background is beer bread from a mix I got for Christmas. I will probably add some bread items to my soups in this challenge. This one turned out pretty good. I wasn't so sure when I was mixing it up. It ended up just a little sweet, but crunchy on the outside. Mark did like the bread.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Yeah, the red lentils really don't hold their shape like the brown ones, but I usually keep these on hand and I think it is a good way to thicken a veggie soup and add a little more fiber. They also only take about a 1/3 of the time to cook than the brown ones take. Boy, I feel like Mark is getting jipped in these challenges ... maybe we should have him come up with an idea for one month!