Monday, February 18, 2008

Two "in a bowl" recipes...

meatsauce

Last week I continued with my grand quest to find the perfect meat sauce recipe (ps-I am on a quest for the perfect meat sauce). I used the simple italian style meat sauce from the recent cooks illustrated. (I can't find the recipe online anywhere and don't want to type it in...maybe later). This meat sauce different from other ones because it uses a "panade—a paste of bread and milk blended into the meat before cooking". I have to say, the consistancy of this sauce was perfect and the flavor was very meaty. I just felt like I was missing some other flavors like red wine and more herbs. I am definately going to play around with this one. The sauce made enough for 2 pounds so I got to freeze half for another time.

ETA recipe: Simple Italian Style Meat Sauce (6 cups)
4 oz white mushrooms
1 large slice high quality white bread
2 T whole milk
salt and pepper
1 lb round beef, pref chuck
1 T olive oil
1 large onion, chopped fine
6 medium garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 red pepper flakes
1 T tomato paste
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes drained, 1/4 liquid reserved (in my can, I think there was only 1/4 liquid in there)
1 T minced fresh oregano, or 1 tsp dried
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup grated parm cheese

1. Process mushrooms in food processor unti finely chopped, about 8 1 second pulses. Transfer to medium bowl. Add bread, milk, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper to empty food processor and process until paste forms, 8 1 second pulses. Add beef and pulse until mixture is well combined, 6 1-second pulses.
2. Heat oil in large sauce pan over medium high heat until just smoking. Add onion and mushrooms, cook, stirring frequenly until browned and dark bits form on pan bottom. Sitr in garlic, pepper flakes and tomato paste; cook until fragrant and tomato paste starts to brown, about 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup reserved tomato liquid and 2 tsp fresh oregano or all if using dried, scraping brown bits off bottom of pan. Add meat mixture and cook, breaking meat into small piece with wooden spoon, until beef loses raw color, 2 to 4 min, making sure meat does not brown.
3. Stir in crushed and diced tomatoes and bring to a simmer; reduce heat to low and gently simmer until sauce has thickened and flavors have blended, about 30 minutes. Stir in cheese and remained of fresh oregano; season with salt and pepper.

chili

Pictured above is my version of my dad's champion chili. It is called champion chili not because the recipe he uses is called champion chili, but because he has won with this one. I like to call it "there is no chili powder in this chili" chili. If you ever have my dad's chili, you will understand why. That, and there is no chili powder in it. If you think about it, it is called CHILI not chili powder. Instead we use a mix of hot and mild peppers.

I have had some of my most successful dinner partys on "chili day" which is usually Jan 1st. To me, chili is all about the condiments and my favorites are green onions, sour cream, and fritos. Yes, fritos. I serve the chili with cut up apple or oranges to cut the heat.

I haven't decided on posting the recipe. If I do ever enter my chili in a contest, I don't want any of you SOB's up against me, know what I'm saying?

Ok, I can't find what I used this year, but this is what I wrote down for last year

1 bottle dark beer
1.5 T fresh oregano, should probably use more
1 tsp dried oregano, amount depends on how much fresh
2-3 T cumin, good quality either toast and grind yourself or penzey's
1.15 grd sirloin, I bet chuck would be better
1 lb mild sausage, or hot
1 lb turkey
1 lb jimmy dean, hot
3 anaheim peppers, or other mild pepper
1 can chiles, chopped
3 chipotle,
2 cayenne, or whatever from your garden
1 jalepeno, same as above
1 large can crush tomatoes, my addition, my dad likes his chili soupy
3 T chili sauce
1 can extra hot rotel, or mild, or just diced tomatoes
salt and pepper
2 white onions
6 cloves garlic
1 can pinto beans
1 can beef broth
1T corn meal, 2 T Flour (or 3 T masa flour)
1 T mole if you got it, handful chocolate chips if you don't

All amounts are estimates. In one pan, saute onions, garlic, and all peppers. In another pan, brown all meat. Put together is large pot with rest of ingredients except last 2. Simmer away until dinner time - lid on or off depending on how thick you like your chili(I do some of both). 1 hour before serving, add corn meal, flour, and mole. A good trick is to NOT pour fat off during browning, wait until chili is finished. The capsaisin is lipid soluable and will disolve into the fat layer. After you skim off fat, you will be left with the flavor of the peppers, but not as much heat. 8-12 servings

3 comments:

Robin said...

I'm telling you ... Italians make the best bolognese meat sauce with only minimal ingredients (beef, onion, olive oil, wine, salt and maybe a teaspoon of sugar if your tomatoes are from a can). The whole trick that makes Italian pasta dishes so much better is the salting of the pasta water. I'm talking a big pot of water with like a handful of salt. You can add anything you want to your meat sauce but your pasta will never taste any different if you don't salt the water that it cooks in.

I'm no chili expert so if you post that recipe I just may have to try it. Maybe I'll try the no chili powder thing next time I make chili. We've been sick around here (AGAIN!) so it's been nothing but broth and fruit for all 3 of us.

KAJ said...

Two in a bowl...that's funny. Man, I am really craving some spaghetti now. Both those look delicous! I kinda wish I married an Italian all of a sudden:)

KAJ said...

Dang it...I spelled delicious wrong and there is no way to go back and change it!