Sunday, February 24, 2008

Not a pretty picture

I made pasta e fagiolli from Everyday Italian and although the soup was tasty, it doesn't look all that great. I will be adding my picture at the end. This was a very simple soup to put together. Because the ingredient list was so short, I wasn't sure how it would turn out. I followed the recipe as written, but instead of using canned kidney beans, I used dried borlotti beans ordered from Rancho Gordo. I cooked them all day in my crock pot. They are a tasty bean, but it took a lot longer than I thought they should. I have never been good at the dried bean thing. They may have not been quite done when I blended the soup using an immersion blender. Instead of thickening the soup, I just got tiny bean pieces. Oh well.

I topped the soup with cheese and olive oil as directed and that gave it a lot of flavor. Even Mark said he liked it. Although, he also said he was surprised that he liked it. I guess I will take what I can get!

pastaefagoli

1 comment:

Robin said...

I've never tried Pasta e Fagioli but have heard about it a lot. I learned a recent trick to cooking borlotti beans. Add a squashed tomato to the beans and cooking liquid while they are cooking. The tomato helps to soften the outer skin and don't salt the beans until the last few minutes of cooking. Once I started doing these 2 things my beans came out much better! Enjoy your borlotti ... they are my favorites!