Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Ingredient challenge - greek yogurt and mustard

I made two recipes that apply to this challenge during this past week, and only now getting around to posting them. I used the greek yogurt last friday to make turkey gyros. I did find something labeled greek yogurt at the store, but I am not sure if it is the same thing that Robin is talking about. Here is a picture:

greekyogurt

See, it says that it is greek yogurt, but it also says 2%, which doesn't sound like the decedent treat that Robin decribed. They also have 0%, but I went with the extra fat. This greek yogurt did add a little something to my cucumber sauce that I do feel was missing.

sauce

I am always pleasently surprised on how these gyros turn out. Something about the ground turkey and the dried spices makes them taste authentic. Plus, ground turkey is super cheap here, like less that $3. I served mine with a tomato mozzerella salad. It makes a great meal when dinner on the screened-in porch!

gyro

The other recipe I made was Sweet Crunch Mustard Chicken. I did not take a picture. It is a easy and tasty baked, breaded chicken recipe. I used skinless breasts and baked at 425, for an hour instead at 500 as listed in the recipe. No reason, really, I served this with baked sweet potatoes and wanted to bake everything together. I also threw some asparagus in the oven the last 10 minutes as well. We also ate this on the screened in porch...good times!

3 comments:

Mel said...

Did you use dill or mint in the cucumber sauce? I noticed the recipe said either. Is there a "better" choice?

wirrek said...

I used mint (fresh) because that is what I had.

Robin said...

In fact, I think that is the same brand of Greek yogurt I use here. Glad you liked it ... it was a nice find for me. We are gyro addicts so we'll have to try this one when we get back. I have never seen ground turkey here so I'll have to wait.