Tuesday, April 1, 2008

It's beginning to feel a lot like spring!

We're wearing lighter jackets, the trees are budding and there are strawberries and asparagus at the market ... always a sign of spring. This month I'm calling the shopping list challenge. I give you some seasonal items and a couple of pantry items and you come up with recipes featuring at least one of the ingredients on the list. It's up to you to decide the degree of freshness you want to work with. Meaning, I realize fresh spring peas are hard to find in the city so you can use frozen, canned, or preserved ingredients ... the idea is to become more in tune with seasonal ingredients but also to try new things and share great recipes so I don't want to be too confining on the challenge. So here is your shopping list for the month:

from produce section:
peas
artichokes
asparagus
ramps (this one's for Kerri ... they are popular on the east coast this time of year)
morels
chives
strawberries
blueberries
cherries
apricots
rhubarb

from the dairy section:
greek yogurt ... (my new love ... lower in fat than cream but more indulgent than full fat yogurt)

from the aisles:
hoisin sauce
mustards (any type)
sherry
barley
spelt

Hopefully, there is something new on the list that may inspire you. Enjoy!

1 comment:

wirrek said...

Hmmmm...I don't know what ramps are. I mean, I know they can be used to push a stroller on, but I am not sure how you eat them! I am looking forward to trying Greek yogurt. I found a source, just never got around to buying some!