Thursday, April 24, 2008

Ultimate Berry Fool

berryfool

Ever since I saw Robin's Eton Mess, I think that is what I have been wanting. Cooks Illustrated had this ultimate berry fool in their most recent issue, so I decided to give it a try instead. For the most part, I followed the recipe exactly. I didn't get all the puree I was suppose to, so that might have made my gelatin mixture too thick. This caused the cream layer to be a little bit spongy. Maybe it was suppose to be like that, I don't know. In the end, this was good...fresh tasting, light, creamy, a great dessert for spring. Mark loved it, plus it had the added bonus of possible puns ("this is great, and I ain't no fool!") (groan) But it wouldn't make Kerri's Greatest Hits if you know what I mean. I think I can do better.

Ultimate Berry Fool

2 qts strawberries
1 pt raspberries
½ cup plus 4T sugar
2 tsp unflavored gelatin
1 cup heavy cream
¼ cup sour cream
½ tsp vanilla extract
4 Carr’s Whole Wheat Crackers, crushed

1. Process 1 qt strawberries, ½ pt raspberries, and ½ cup sugar in food processor until smooth. Strain puree through fine mess strainer into 4 cup liquid measuring cup (you should have 2 and ½ cup puree – I didn’t, I had 1 ½ cup and added an additional ½ water). Transfer ½ cup puree to small bowl and sprinkle gelatin over top; stir until gelatin is incorporated and let stand at least 5 minutes. Heat remaining 2 cups puree in small saucepan over medium heat until it begins to bubble. Remove pan from heat and stir into gelatin mixture until dissolved. Transfer gelatin-puree to fridge and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, chop remaining 1 qt strawberries into rough ¼ inch pieces. Toss strawberries, remaining ½ pint raspberries and 2T sugar together in a medium bowl. Set aside for 1 hour.
3. Place cream, sour cream, vanilla, and remaining 2T sugar in a chilled bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on low speed until bubbles form, about 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and continue beating until beaters leave a trail, about 30 seconds. Increase speed to high; continue beating until mixture has nearly doubled and stiff peaks form; about 30 seconds. Transfer ¼ cup whipped cream mixture into small bowl. Set aside.
4. Remove thickened berry puree from refrigerator and whisk until smooth (Mine was too thick. I added some warm water and mine never got smooth) With mixer running, slowly add 2/3s of puree to whipped-cream mixture; mix until incorporated, about 15 seconds. Using spatula, gently fold in remaining thickened puree, leaving streaks of puree.
5. Transfer uncooked berries to fine mesh strainer; shake gently to remove excess juice. Divide 2/3s of berries among 6 parfait glasses (or my nice water glasses). Divide creamy berry mixture evenly among glasses, followed by remaining uncooked berries. Top each glass with reserved plain whipped cream (I forgot to save some cream, so I did berries, cream-puree, berries, cream-puree). Sprinkle with crushed crackers. Serve immediately.

4 comments:

Robin said...

This is very similar ... yours looks a little more berrier ... I like it. Crushed crackers ... a nice suggestion as an alternative when we don't feel like baking meringues.

Robin said...

I love your parfait glasses ... by the way!

wirrek said...

Those Carr's crushed crackers were really perfect for this. They were thick and buttery, but not sweet, very similar to a graham cracker. I think it was the meringues that turned me off to the mess, but I was thinking about buying something similar and using it instead!

KAJ said...

WOW! That looks like the perfect dessert for a pregnant lady in Spring! I really really really enjoyed the shortbread cookies that were in the trifle I made. I have to try these cookies you speak of!