Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Whole Wheat Pasta with Artichoke-Red Pepper Sauce

I found this recipe in my local paper and it seems like a good one to try out the artichokes. My camera battery was dead, so no picture - sorry again. I liked this one, and it was healthy...I think. Do artichokes count as a vegtable? Not to mention this recipe was very easy. It definately took less that 30 minutes to put together. The sauce turns out a lot like a pesto. I think if I made this again, I would use the sauce as a base for a pasta salad. I was hoping to make some pasta salads for James and I to eat during the week. Well, this one would just be for me. James, he does try, but then spends a couple of mintues digging the offending food out of his mouth. Maybe it was too tangy for him. Another thought...save some pasta water when combining the sauce with the pasta. I had that same thought the second after I dumped all the water and pasta through the strainer. Oops!

Whole wheat pasta with artichoke-red pepper sauce

2-14 oz cans artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
12 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained
2T olive oil
4 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp dried basil (I used 1T fresh)
salt
pepper
1 pound whole wheat pasta
1/2 cup parm cheese

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook pasta according to package. Drain (reserve some pasta water). Return to pot.

In food processor, combine remainder of the ingredients except for cheese until smooth. Add sauce to pasta and toss over low heat until warm. Serve topped with cheese.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Liddy does the same thing ... she'll try everything but then spend a lot of time picking out of her mouth the food that she doesn't like. I think it's a texture thing versus flavor in her case ... but I'm not sure. The recipe sounds great, minus the whole wheat pasta. I just can't convert.

Mel said...

This sounds really good. DH would ask "Where's the meat?" Ha!