Sunday, April 6, 2008

Mediterranean Roasted Vegetables

I inadvertently made something that fit the challenge this week, so I thought I'd post it. We were originally planning on grilling the vegetables, but since Spring seems to have gotten lost on its way to Nebraska, I roasted them indoors and added a Greek flavor. I was improvising, so the spices are just an estimate. Oh, and I meant to throw in a can of chickpeas, but forgot--still very yummy! Sorry--no picture.

2 zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 bunch asparagus, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 red onion, sliced
2 portabello mushrooms, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried dill
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (more or less to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste

Yogurt-Tahini Dressing (from Moosewood)
The dressing adds a lot of tang and flavor and also moistens the couscous which can get a little dry without something juicy on top of it.

1 cup plain yogurt (didn't have Greek yogurt, but I guess this would be a great use for it)
2 Tbsp tahini
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp chopped fresh dill (I used 1 tsp dried)
Salt and pepper to taste

Couscous for serving.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Toss all vegetables together with oil, garlic and spices. Spread in a single layer onto a baking sheet (I had to use 2). Bake until vegetables are tender and carmelized, appx 25 minutes. While the vegetables are roasting, prepare the dressing and cook the couscous. Serve the vegetables over the couscous with a big dollop of the dressing.

2 comments:

wirrek said...

Mmmmm, love the idea of using tahini and greek yogurt for that sauce.

Robin said...

Yes, great idea to give coucous and veggies a dressing ... I had never thought of that ... I'm always trying to flavor the couscous with broth or parmesan but it still ends up dry. This is a nice idea to try.