Sunday, April 27, 2008

Tabouli

In search of the perfect recipe to accompany wirrek's turkey gyros below, I found this tabouli recipe from Moosewood. Made it tonight and it was very good. DH loved it too.

1 cup bulgur
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon garlic -- crushed
1/2 cup chopped scallions -- include greens
salt and pepper to taste
2 medium tomatoes -- diced
1-2 cups fresh parsley -- chopped (I used 2 cups)
1 cup cooked chickpeas
chopped fresh mint (optional) - I didnt' have any.

In large bowl, pour boiling water over bulgur. Cover tightly and set aside for 20-30 min. (I missed the cover part when I made it...)

In separate bowl, stir together lemon juice, garlic, parsley, scallions, tomatoes, and chickpeas. When bulgur has absorbed water, stir it with a fork to fluff it. Toss the lemon/veggie mix with the bulgur. Salt/pepper/mint to taste. It's best after refrigerating for 1/2-2 hours. Add more lemon juice before serving (to taste).

No comments: