Wednesday, September 26, 2007

BBQ brisket dinner

Sometimes when I pick topics for this blog, I have an ulterior motive. For this one, I wanted to make a brisket and need a little inspiration to do it. I originally pictured doing this on a weekend and having people over to share in it, but turns out, we have been booked on the weekend. So, I planned to squeeze it in this week for a mid-week dinner party, but my guests got some mysterious "apple pie" stomach virus all the way from Texas and couldn't make it. It was with a nervous stomach that my husband and I sat down to eat this meal...unsure if we were just going to see it again later.

To make the brisket, I start the morning of by smoking my meat. In this case, I got the charcoal going in the chimney starter, and pulled the meat out of the fridge to come to room temp. The only seasoning I used was salt and pepper. I prefer to use chunks of hickory, but the only thing I could find were hickory chips. I soaked these chips in water for about half an hour. When the fire was ready, I dumped the coals on either side of my Weber kettle grill for indirect grilling, and then pull a handful of the soaked hickory chips on each pile of coals. I placed the meat on the middle of the grill, put the lid on and let it smoke.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

After about 30-45 minutes, the smoke has run out. When you open the lid, it starts to flare up again, but I will also put a handful of charcoal on both sides, and then another handful of hickory chips. I'll turn the meat over, and let it smoke another 30-45 minutes.

When the smoke runs out a second time, I take the meat off. The best way to handle it now is to wrap it tightly in foil, put in a heavy dish, and place in a 180-200 degree oven to let cook the rest of the day. I have a gas oven, which is great, but gets a little hot if I leave it on all day. I put mine in my crock pot which I think runs a little too hot for brisket. About an hour before serving, I would recommend putting it back on the grill for a little more smoke. Plus, when your guests arrive, then think you have been smoking it all day. All that is left is to slice and serve with your favorite tomato based BBQ sauce.

To round out the meal, I served baked beans and mac and cheese...which are considered vegetables in this part of the county.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

HOT AND SMOKY BAKED BEANS
Serve these hot or at room temperature.

6 bacon slices
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 1/4 cups purchased barbecue sauce
3/4 cup dark beer
1/4 cup mild-flavored (light) molasses
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
4 to 6 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chilies
6 15- to 16-ounce cans Great Northern beans, drained
Chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels and drain. Transfer 2 1/2 tablespoons bacon drippings from skillet to large bowl. Finely chop bacon; add to bowl. Add onion and next 7 ingredients to bowl and whisk to blend. Whisk in 4 to 6 teaspoons chipotle chilies, depending on spiciness desired. Stir in beans. Transfer bean mixture to 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Bake uncovered until liquid bubbles and thickens slightly, about 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes.Sprinkle with parsley and serve.Serves 8 to 10.

Bon Appétit July 1999

The Mac and Cheese is a recipe from my husbands family

1 cup dried macaroni, cooked according to package directions
1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
2 eggs
1/3 cup sugar (I use less)
milk (they like the whole milk, I use whatever I have)
1/2 tsp salt

Combine cooked macaroni, cheese, eggs, sugar, and salt. Pour into baking dish coated with cooking spray. Add milk until it comes to 3/4 of an inch to the top of the dish. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes (but I usually bake hotter and for longer) until top and bottom is nicely browned.

2 comments:

KAJ said...

WOW!! You are an amazing woman. I can't believe you made ALL that...for one dinner!! It looks so delicious. I am sorry everyone got sick...it was AM! I wish I was disiplined enough to try it...someday.

PS James's manpris are really cute!

wirrek said...

Yep, all in the time that James took his morning nap. I was highly motivated!

Dude, lay off the manpris, they are all the rage in tennis.

Is anyone else for taking off the word verification? Yuck.