Monday, September 24, 2007

Pacific Northwest

Cedar Planked Salmon and Field Green Salad with Feta and Craisins

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I didn't use a recipe for this one. KAJ - you should be proud of me. Ok, I already lied. The salmon was based upon a recipe by Bobby Flay. I soaked my cedar plank for awhile...a couple of hours. I sprinkled salt and pepper on my salmon, then lathered on some Dijon mustard followed with a sprinkling of brown sugar. After putting my salmon on my cedar plank, I put the plank directly over hot coals for a few minutes so the plank produced some good smoke. I then moved it off direct heat and grilled for another 25 minutes.

The salad was easy. Just field greens with balsamic vinaigrette (~3 T balsamic vinegar, a spoonful of Dijon mustard, then whisk, then whisk in olive oil. Add salt and pepper, and honey, to taste). Toss greens with dressing. Add craisins and feta and toss slightly, then plate.

A good, healthy meal representing the pacific northwest. I rounded it out with Adelsheim pinot noir, Elizabeth Reserve (Dad, sorry I used the Elizabeth, but the Bloom had no other pinots from Oregon or Washington St. No really, none, and I wanted to be authentic) A very quick dinner as long as you get your grill ready in a timely fashion.

For dessert...snickerdoodles!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I normally am not a fan of cooking light baking, but this kid really knows her stuff. YUM!! Not sure what region snickerdoodles are from. Ok, found it, either New England, or Pennsylvania Dutch. Hey, those regions are pretty close together!

2 comments:

Mel said...

Mmm, snickerdoodles. I remember that one time in college that you mailed me some brownies and cookies. Those were the best!!

Robin said...

I'm so impressed ... I've always wanted to try Cedar Plank Salmon!