Sunday, September 30, 2007

October Challenge: Company's Coming!


September is over already! I only wish I could have contributed more ideas, but it was nice to see the dishes that everyone came up with. As I peer out my Berlin apartment window, I see yet, another, gray drizzly day. It takes everything in my power not to declare October a soup fest ... but I won't do that to you southerners. Company's coming is a challenge to try out a four-course meal ... appetizer, soup or salad, main course and dessert (yes, we're baking this month) - but not all at once (I'm not that crazy). It's designed so everyone commits to at least one category each week and it doesn't have to be in order. I won't put any restrictions on it, your choice on what you choose ... but you will get major points for using these in season produce - squash (pumpkin type not zuchini or summer), apples, french (daikon) radishes, turnips, and sage. Also, I'm looking for new cocktail ideas so if you feel like really dazzling us ... you could feature a cocktail on a post!

To inspire everyone, I'll leave you with some pictures of the four-course wedding dinner we enjoyed this week at my brother-in-law's wedding in Vienna, Austria at the lovely Hotel Sacher.

Appetizer: Smoked Salmon Carpaccio with a Seared Scallop


First Course: Cream of Potato Soup with Mushrooms


Second Course: Roast Pork Medaillons with Basil Potato Gnocchi


Dessert: their famous Sacher Torte

1 comment:

wirrek said...

Sounds like fun, but I think I would rather eat the food right out of your pictures!