Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Sloppy Joes

Yeah, that's right, I said sloppy joes. You can't really get more American than that, can you? Go ahead and sing the song if you want...

I did a little research on the origin of sloppy joes and found a lot of interesting information about it. The consensus is that it either originated in Iowa from a loose meat sandwich or in Cuba, and then found its way to the US either through New Jersey by a restaurant owner, or through Key West via Hemmingway. An article for more reading can be found here. Where ever it is from, it is a staple of kids everywhere.

See, I did a lot of research to make up for the fact that I am passing off sloppy joes for my challenge.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I used a recipe from Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals 2 cookbook and made the entire meal with can be found here. Really, when made from scratch, it is a pretty healthy meal with lean ground beef and fresh, chopped veggies. The deviled potato salad turned out pretty well and I liked that it had a little kick to it. The meal included dessert, and in this case was root beer floats. Yum, yum!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: