Monday, October 22, 2007

Cheese Tortellini Soup - Another first course


We've made this soup about a billion times and again last night. It was a cover recipe from Bon Appetit magazine. I thought I would share it since it is so popular with us. I'm usually good about being able to cut down soups to about 4 servings but this one just makes a lot. I would say 6-8 first course servings.

2 T. olive oil
12 oz. fully cooked, smoked kielbasa, thinly sliced
1 onion (or leek), chopped
1 c. fresh fennel, cored, quartered and thinly sliced
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 T. chopped fresh thyme (but I just use about 1/2 t. dried)
1/2 t. dried crushed red pepper
10 c. low-salt chicken broth (I use bouillon)
1/2 bunch of chopped kale (I have subbed spinach or cabbage ... basically something green)
1 (15 oz) can canellini beans, rinsed, drained
1 (9 oz) pkg. cheese tortellini
grated parmesan, for serving

Heat oil in a heavy, large pot over medium heat. Add next 6 ingredients and saute until vegetables are soft and kielbasa is brown, about 12-15 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Stir in kale (or cabbage) and beans. Reduce heat to low and summer until greens are wilted, about 4 minutes. Add tortellini to soup. Simmer until pasta is just tender, about 5 minutes. Serve with fresh parmesan.

3 comments:

wirrek said...

Do you think you could substitute italian sausage for the kielbasa? I am just not a fan of smoked sauage...just the thought of it turns my stomach! Everything else in the soup sounds great and very healthy.

Robin said...

Yeah, I would say it would be fine to substitue. Italian sausage has a lot of flavor as well. You would just need to make sure you cook it long enough for the middle to cook, since smoked sausage is already cooked you just need to brown it but Italian sausage you would need to cook thoroughly.

leosatter said...

Maybe you can help me out with something…? I want to order all of my food online from now on because of various reasons, but I don’t know where to go for quality food. I have tried 2 companies so far, Fresh Dining, and and Celebrity Foods, but I wanna get others I can try out. Do you know of any? The main thing I’ve ordered so far is steak. I guess you can say, I’m a steak junkie. LOL!!! From what I have found out (from what I have ordered so far) I think I am able to regulate the quality of beef I buy. I hate going to a store and getting that crappy slab of beef that I have to cut down until there is like nothing left. Hahaha!!!! (its so true though) Anyhow, sorry that I made this comment so long. If you can help me out or point me in a direction where I might find more quality foods online, I would greatly appreciate it. Have a good day or night! (depending on when you read this) LOL!!!!